Monday, April 02, 2007

Blue Monday

Actually, I could have said White Monday. I woke up to a half inch of snow on the ground this morning. Weird. I thought it was April... Once I drove about 5 miles from home, however, all the snow was gone. I love living in the convergence zone! It is the first day of Spring Quarter at my school, so lots of excitement in the air today (you know, snow & new classes).

The blue part is this, I had to rip the sweater out and cast on again. Yep. I had a good 6+ inches on the thing and found that my counts were off. Oh, I know what you're thinking. "How could this happen? Surely after dropping that stitch marker and agonizing over whether or not to continue Our Girl would be more cautious with her knitting of the precious sweater!" Yeah. Not so much. And I paid for it. I don't know what is up with me, my head doesn't seem to be in the game right now. Actually, not any game as far as I can figure. I'm forgetting all kinds of wild stuff these days. It's okay, I still drive. LOL

Anyway, my counts were off on the two ends (actually, the middle sections on each side). I looked and looked, but I couldn't figure out if I had added stitches on one side, failed to increase on one side or maybe a mix of the two things on both sides. Just no way to know. I looked and I could not see any dropped stitches, could not see any missing increases or anything else. Both sides looked right, but the numbers were off, no matter how many times I counted them. I didn't know whether I needed to add stitches to the smaller side, or take away stitches from the larger size. I could probably have done the math and figured it out, but there was a pattern change involved somewhere in there as well. I felt that given how my brain has been working, it was probably best to just rip it and start over and COUNT this time. Novel concept, right? I hooked the yarn up to the ball winder and just went from sweater to yarn ball. Nice and easy. Then I picked up the needles and cast right back on, just so I wouldn't dwell on it too much. So, I'm maybe an inch in to the sweater again, but I know it was the best thing to do. I am at peace and, oddly, feeling more confident about the whole sweater this time. Something good out of a mess of yarn.

Does this count as progress?

No comments: