Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My REAL first sweater

I thought I would post a picture of my real first sweater. This is the sweater in the first chapter of How to Knit by Debbie Bliss. It was done in TLC Wiggles yarn in Grape. The yarn was selected by my daughter & the sweater took about 2 1/2 months to knit. I had finished three hats before I attempted this sweater & I was really anxious about whether or not I would be able to finish this project once started. It was, in fact, a test to see if I could complete a "big" project. I impressed myself with how quickly I knit this thing & that it looked like it was supposed to look.

The down side was that my daughter loved the yarn, but the fit of the sweater really bugged her. Apparently she is not into oversized sweaters. I ended up running a safety line through the sweater & cutting into it to shorten it. That was pretty nerve-wracking, but at least she wore it after that. Oh, and I learned a new trick.

My youngest is also requesting a sweater & has selected some Katia yarn in Jamaica (color 4005). I will get to it but I'm not in a hurry. She is currently 4 and I'd like her to be a little older. I kind of feel that she might be more interested in wearing a sweater when she is a older. Also, she is very picky about what she wears - already. I would like her to participate more in the making of the sweater so that she will be more likely to wear it when it is finished. I don't trust her right now. So, I'll hold the yarn and wait. I've got plenty of other things to knit on my list.

No comments: