Friday, January 30, 2009

Bragging moment







The eldest DD debuted in her first singing solo at her school assembly.

I'm so very proud of my little pumpkin! I would never have had the gumption to do such a thing at her age. She performed beautifully and looked like she was really enjoying herself. She sang solo and then again in a duet with her friend (in green).

Over the Christmas break, she told me there was a part to practice, but we only worked on the words a little. Though I asked about it, she didn't tell me it was a singing part and that she had to audition. I was floored when she told me that she had auditioned and won the solo. She's been practicing at home for the past several weeks. She's been able to practice with all of Himself's music gear, so she was comfortable using the microphone.

She's not shy, but she also isn't an attention hound (unlike, say, the youngest DD). Last year she had the lead part in a play, and had a blast in that role as well. Looks like maybe I should enroll her in a children's theatre or something.

In a feeble attempt at fiber news I'll add that I cashed in my b-day gift card for a fine fleece and custom knits. (non-cataloger librarian musings - do you capitalize the words in the title if they are not capitalized on the book? My gut says "no", but it isn't really my specialty.) The books are lovely, and I look forward to drooling on them reading them slowly.

Also, I have moved a few rows into the cable pattern on the front of the aran sweater. If I can just keep up the momentum on this thing, I might finish it in time for Himself to wear it once or twice. Or not.

Now, I'm off for a small bit of reading (maybe) before heading off for the second performance. They run assemblies twice at the school, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. This is sort of nice since the morning and afternoon kindergarten kids will all get to see the program.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Ah bless, I wouldn't have the gumption to do that now, let alone when I was that age! As a cataloguing librarian I wouldn't capitalize either!

Stacy said...

How very cool that your DD is a performer! I'm not terribly surprised given her musical parents (remember "Touch of Class"? groan!), but it's terrific. Congratulations! I do think kids' theater would be a good route.

As a non-librarian, yet correct-grammar/usage/spelling/whatever freak, I wouldn't capitalize either, if it's not that way on the book.